Monday, July 1, 2013

Month 1 Begins!

Today, my Year of Joy begins! I've been really excited about it; last week I even started keeping some of the resolutions I made. 

I chose July for my focus on the body. I know that my physical health can either help me have the energy, confidence, and drive to achieve other goals; or it can get in the way, drag me down, and hinder me from achieving anything. 

I would say I'm a pretty average college-age American woman when it comes to my physical health. In general, I'm in pretty good shape. My body works in all the ways it should, I don't have any major health problems, and I'm pretty footloose and fancy-free. But I also don't really exercise, I don't eat as many fruits and veggies as I should, and I often overdo it with the desserts. 

So many people treat their bodies like garbage at this time in their lives and decide to face the music later. I don't want that to be me. I do make healthier choices than many, if not most, college students--I don't do drugs, I've never had a sip of alcohol, I rarely have caffeine, I eat mostly home-cooked meals, and I try to eat all my food groups. But I want to raise the bar. I want to be a person who exercises regularly, eats my five-a-day, eats sweets moderately, and knows when to stop (with all foods). I don't want to get into habits that are going to be hard to break, and I want to be as nice to my body as I can while it's still nice to me, so we can have a good relationship for the rest of my life. (Aaaand I'll be honest...I don't consider myself overweight, but I could stand to lose a few pounds. But that's not the point of this.) 

Anyway--I'm probably preaching to the choir! We all know physical health is important, so I'll move on to the actual resolutions: 

1. Exercise more. 
2. Eat healthy. 
3. Drink more water. 
4. Improve my sleep schedule. 
5. Love my body! 

I have plans for how to fulfill each one of those, so as things move along, I'll keep posting here about how I'm doing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment