Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Sleep Schedule Improvement...Or Not.

8:30 a.m., and I did not want to get up.

Before I got married, I thought that maintaining a good sleep schedule once I was married would be a piece of cake. No roommates to distract me, no rollicking single social life to keep up with, and no noise! What could be more conducive to a great sleep schedule?

A husband who gets off work at a decent time of day, that's what.

And because we are newlyweds, and I cannot possibly fathom an existence in which I eat dinner before he gets home, we usually don't end up going to sleep until past midnight. But believe me, I would love to have a 9:00 bedtime.

So that's one issue to tackle this month as I try to get my sleep schedule on track. Thankfully, my classes don't start until at least 10:00 am every day (on Tuesdays and Thursdays, not until 12:15), so I have some opportunity to sleep in a little in the morning.

But my husband and I are nothing if not in love. And after we've spent several whole hours apart from each other, we like to talk and spend some time together at the end of the day. So sleep gets shunted to the side. So sometimes we don't go to sleep until 1 am, and then 8:30 seems early to get up.

So these are the things I want to do to improve my sleep schedule, since I know it's impossible to get it perfect: I want to get up at 8:30 (or earlier) every day, and I want to get at least 8 hours of sleep. Sometimes that may require going to sleep earlier than I feel like, but most of the time getting a solid 8 hours shouldn't be too much out of my way.

I failed on that last night, and I didn't exactly get up at 8:30 this morning (try 9:30). But I'm still proud of myself for getting up to work out. I really, really, really didn't want to, but I finally did, so I'm happy about that. Tomorrow will be even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment